Lentil Bolognese is the vegan version of Italian Bolognese which is meat sauce. That’s your fun fact of the day!
Who had spaghetti as a weekly staple growing up? I know I did. Every since I was a young girl I’ve been a super fan of spaghetti. I knew early on the magic that happens with spaghetti after day 2. If you were lucky enough to get to day 3 then O-M-G Banging!
So I have started to make my bolognese a day or so ahead of time so that the sauce and the lentils can marry. That’s my trick to getting day 3 flavor on day 1 of eating.
Lentils make the marinara hearty and keeps the sauce from being extra runny. Whoever thought of adding lentils to marinara sauce is a genius. You get the benefits of protein all while eating a relatively healthy dish. Solid win.
I love it when I’m able to veganize an old classic. This is definitely one to make for Sunday dinner or anytime you want something filling, hearty, and delicious. Top with fresh herbs or try my 2 ingredient vegan cheese recipe here.
Now one of the greatest debates in pasta cooking history…. To mix the pasta with the bolognese sauce or leave it separate. That’s up to you I’ll let you and your family duke it out.
- 1 1/2 cup cooked brown lentils
- 1 jar marinara
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast optional
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/2 package pasta noodles
- 2 tsp italian seasoning
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp tomatoe paste
- 2 tsp sugar optional
- Cook the lentils according to the package. To add more flavor to the lentils I like to add vegetable broth to the lentils.
- In a medium sauce pan add the marinara to medium heat. Add the spices to the marinara along with the tomato paste. Bring to a gentle boil. Reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for approximately 35 minutes.
- Boil noodles and cook until tender.
- Add lentils to the marinara sauce that has been simmering, simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
- Now either mix your noodles with the bolognese sauce in the pot or keep them separately.