We all need that quick and simple go-to meal. My go-to usually includes some sort of pasta. Since I love pasta so much I try to get the most value out of it by using nutrient based pasta. This time I used the chickpea pasta from Banza, it’s one of my faves!
With this super easy recipe you’ll be in and out of the kitchen in no time. Check out my ‘how-to’ video below!
Penne Pasta with soy free vegan sausage
- 1 box penne pasta I used chickpea penne
- 5 sprigs kale roughly chopped
- 2 vegan sausage links I used beyond meat Brat sausage
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes whole
- 1 jar marinara sauce
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 4 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 2 tsp red chili flakes
- 1 1/2 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 cup reserved pasta water
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a rolling boil, add box of pasta, cook according to package
- Rough chop kale
- Cut sausage into medallions, add to a pan to cook for 6 minutes on one side, flip and cook on the other side for another 3 minutes or until browned on each side, then add whole tomatoes.
- When pasta is cooked al dente (not fully cooked through), transfer to colander to drain water. Be sure to reserve 1/2 cup of pasta water. Rinse under cool water
- Add pasta to the pan, stir to combine with sausage, tomatoes. Add the chopped garlic and the remaining seasonings. Stir again to get the flavor going.
- Next add the chopped kale then use 1/2 of the reserved pasta water to and pasta sauce to wilt the kale. Cover until the kale is wilted approx, 5-6 minutes . Don't be afraid to make it as saucey as you like!