Did someone say Vegan cheesesteak? Being from Wilmington, Delaware, 30 minutes outside of Philadelphia, I’ve had my fair share of cheesesteaks. When I turned to a plant based vegan lifestyle I had written off cheesesteaks. A vegan spot in Delaware called ‘Drop Squad Kitchen’ offered a vegan cheesesteak dubbed V-Steak on their menu, I had to try it! Its legit one of the best cheesesteaks I’ve ever had vegan or not! Now living in Texas, Drop Squad is a little too far away so I decided to try my hand at making my own version of a vegan cheesesteak.
Let-me-tell-you, I never knew my main ingredient would pull off the job but I was dead wrong. What is the main ingredient? Mushrooms. Cremini to be exact. I’m not the biggest fan of mushrooms on their own so if they aren’t your thing this might be the game changer for you too! The cremini mushrooms give this sammie the texture of tender meat while being 100% animal product free, Get into this cheese though! Lets debunk this myth that vegan cheese doesn’t melt, it does. The trick to melting any cheese vegan or not is to add water to a hot pan or grill then cover the cheese for a minute or two, BAM! You’ve got yourself some melty cheese. This is one for the books y’all! Make this!
- 1 lb cremini mushrooms
- 1/3 cup diced onion
- 2 tbsp vegan worcestershire
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp oil ( I used grapeseed oil)
- 1/3 cup shredded vegan cheese
- Heat oil in a medium size pan.
- Add diced onion, cook until translucent.
- Add the cremini mushrooms cook until the water has evaporated from the mushrooms (approx. 8 minutes).
- Then add Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper allowing the mushrooms to cook for another 5 minutes.
- Finally, add your cheese shreds mixing until melted through.