Eating a super protein packed curry lentil bowl is one of the most filling plant-based meals one can eat. Not up for debate!
When I tell you that this bowl makes me want to dutty wine (Caribbean style of dance) from all the flavors packed into this one bowl. Spicy and creamy lentils. The perfectly sautéed peppers, onions, kale, and zucchini that still have a snap to them when you take a bite. Told you perfect. Then there’s the nuttiness of the quinoa and the creaminess of this ripe avocado.
Putting together a bowl can be as simple or intricate as you want. Mostly its how much time do you want to put in. Essentially you are making multiple items and putting them together in a bowl to make a nourishing bowl.
Lentils. I like to use earthy spices to punch up the flavor in my lentils, spice doesn’t mean heat. You can add your own intensity of heat to the lentils. Think habanero or cayenne. Adding coconut milk provides to the creamy texture we want. The coconut milk also helps to cut the spicy heat so if you like heat you may want to add more of your spicy heat element to keep the heat intensity up.
Kale and Zucchini medley. I was in a high fat and protein mood so I added coconut oil to sauté the peppers and onions. After the onions were translucent, I added the zucchini to cook down for 3-5 minutes, I added the kale last to keep the nutrients as much as possible and of course to keep that snap in the veggies.
Quinoa. Making the perfect quinoa can be tricky. And if you serve it immediately following being cooked you’ll feel like you misstepped somewhere in the making. This is due to the steam still cooking the little pieces of grain. I always season my water for quinoa, you should too.
Sweet Plantains. Oh how I love thee. Buying what may look like damaged plantains super yellow with brown bruising actually make for perfectly sweet plantains. You can also buy the green ones and let them ripen on your counter for a few days.
Avocado. Choose wisely friends, choose wisely. Green and hard, pass. Green and brown has a little give when pushed with your thumb, add to our basket. Brown and squishy, pass.
Each one of ingredients to this bowl can be made at the same time as one another. Making this another 30 minute meal! Enjoy this super protein filled bowl!
CURRY LENTIL BOWL
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 2 cups water
- 2 bayleaves
- 1 tsp pink salt
- Bring 2 cups water to a boil
- Add rinsed and drained lentils, this removes any dirt
- Stir and add salt let boil rapidly for 5 minutes
- Cover and turn to a low heat setting and allow to cook until the water has evaporated and the lentils are tender.
- In a medium pot bring water to a rapid boil
- Add rinsed and drained quinoa to pot, allow to boil for 2-3 minutes. Then turn to a low heat setting cover for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat leaving the top covered for another 5 minutes. Fluff with fork.
- Slice plantains, add coconut oil to a small pan allow to heat before adding plantains.
- Once the coconut oil has heated add your plantains. Cook for 2 minutes on each side or until lightly browned.
- Remove from oil and allow to drain on a paper towel.
Kale and Zucchini Medley
- Sautee onions until translucent. Add peppers and zucchini cook down for 3-4 minutes then add kale cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Now that you have all your ingredients you can put your bowl together with all the beautiful sweet and savory food.